Are you a member of the village?

Karibu Rafiki Forums Active Discussion Are you a member of the village?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  m70mcr 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Cagney Wright
    Participant

It used to be said that it takes a village to raise a child. Nowadays though it appears Google, Apple and Xbox seem to have taken the reins.

With all the youth violence, exclusions, lack of education and prospects leading to a marked lack of community spirit and engagement; surely we now have to renew our village membership.

How can we tackle this issue in the age of technology?

Beccai
    Participant

I feel that it is quite impossible to put the lid back on Pandora’s box, the rise of Instagram and the glorification of “celebrities/influential people” and their lifestyles offers a form of escapism for young people with little to no prospects of a secure future or viable planet.

Yes the village can support one another but ultimately the government holds a majority of the cards. The cuts/freezes to services and wages leaves little time/money to nurture our children.

m70mcr
    Participant

I think this is a ship that has sailed. Our best hope for the children of tomorrow is to constantly be there and engage with them, particularly in respect of their identity, in the hope that they cannot be blindsided by false information and perceived ideas by others in respect if who they are or should be.

Cagney Wright
    Participant

I agree with a lot of this Beccai but feel that the cuts to services and support on a government and local level is the exact reason why we need to move back to this village mentality.

More and more people are having to work long hours for low pay and their children are often left at home to fend for themselves. (Needs must) if we opened back the community style channels of communication and we looked out for each other more – it would be a start. Just saying good morning to your neighbour would be a beginning.

We as a community are notorious for not suppporting and communicating with each other. I think we need to start talking about ways to change this.

m70mcr
    Participant

I too believe that this is the way forward. We must start doing for ourselves and avoid becoming dependant on others and support ourselves.

Cagney Wright
    Participant

M7MCR – agree. It’s a huge issue. Do you think more interactive events – chances to network, activities, mentor, supporting organisations etc would help?

m70mcr
    Participant

Absolutely Cagney!!! We have to become more involved and stop watching from the sidelines as though it has nothing to do with us. It has repercussions for the community as a whole.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.