Changing the way we are reported on!

Karibu Rafiki Forums Active Discussion Changing the way we are reported on!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cagney Wright
    Participant

I have heard a great deal of talk in the BAME community recently about the way we are represented in the media and the impact that has on young people’s perceptions of themselves.

I have also seen several individuals setting up and launching media platforms including this one and http://www.sassyblackwoman@blogspot.com. These platforms are aimed at being the BAME community together to share tips, information, news and services. Positive messages, advice and sometimes just good old fashion encouragement can be gleaned from these BAME platforms.

However, despite moaning about the negative behaviours of mainstream media and groaning about the lack of oppportunities for
    BAME groups; we are still not coming together to support our own. The number of people that actually read the work of their own or share information about BAME businesses or buy from BAME businesses is frustratingly low.

Yet we will buy and engage with the mainstream media and businesses that treat us with disregard.

What sticks in my mind about this is that following the Hillsboro tragic disaster, the people of Liverpool were so distressed and insulted by the way that one of the major mainstream tabloids had wrongfully treated them that they refused to purchase that paper! The result being that you will not find an outlet in Liverpool that sells that particular tabloid. Now that is solidarity and suppprting your own.

Why can’t we do the same? Come on people let’s wake up a remember that people we treat us badly if we allow them to.

Ballerina11
    Participant

I agree. The black community lacks solidarity and support to our own. I can’t work out why we are our own worst enemies.

Over the years I have tried to launch businesses such as massage and beauty and even to find people to allow me to practice on for a small fee was challenging. And when I was qualified I could hear a pin drop and received little or no support.

I find my own wanted me to provide them with a service for next to nothing, baring in mind I bought top of the range products which the local shops was not investing in.

I’ve even written a successive number of blogs all of which is to increase the knowledge and empower the black community and I feel my back is against a wall as no one wants to support the progress of other black people I n the community.

We (in particularly Caribbean descent) are focusing on the wrong things and I can see if we don’t wake up soon we will be left behind.

I was brought up on ‘United we stand, divided we fall’ and on that basis I will support my own, even if I know I’m paying a little extra just to make sure the business thrives.

What I will say is, to all those who are entrepreneurs in business, blogging, media, fashion, retail etc, keep pushing and do not allow this to dishearten your efforts and spirits.

Cagney Wright
    Participant

I agree fully, thanks for the reassurance too.

It is so frustrating when you know that we are stronger together and yet to spare just a few moments to share something, buy from your own, pay full price and attend positive/progressive events – we just can’t do it. But, you never see people in Selfridges or the high street shops asking for discounts!

We have to change our mindset.

Einstein’s definition of insanity “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” what does that say about the BAME community?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.