What is a Croydon accent

Karibu Rafiki Forums Active Discussion What is a Croydon accent

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Butterfly1 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Butterfly1
    Keymaster

Apparently the police have described an individual they want to detain for allegedly holding up a shop at gun point as having a ‘Croydon accent’ – Clearly no chance of any success there then. Having lived in London most of my life with family and friends living throughout London I am confused as to how the accent of individuals from Croydon differ from the accents of individuals from anywhere else in London ie. Camberwell. Now the BBC are suggesting that the ‘Croydon accent’ must be a cross between Kate Moss and Stormzy!

m70mcr
    Participant

This is interesting. As if it had been said that the individual had an East London accent I would have likened it the individual using what is considered to be cockney dialect I.e rhyming slang. I have never heard of a Croydon accent. If and when you do find out what it is do share!!!!

Cagney Wright
    Participant

I think it is something you use as a descriptor when all else fails. Otherwise I take it there are professionals police officers who could hold a voice identity parade of some sort 😳.

Forgive me but am I to assume the good old techniques such as DNA, finger prints and cctv are to be replaced by voice identity?

Butterfly1
    Keymaster

It may be a proactive way of policing on a reduced budget. You know poverty will always breed imagination!

popo1
    Participant

Wow! so that’s one criminal which will still be out there, if this is one of their primary characteristics used to narrow down individuals

Ballerina11
    Participant

Well, quite possibly. Recently, whilst talking to my bank they advised me that I could activate a ‘voice recogniser’ to my account. Apparently, it will be able to recognise customers accounts by their voice. So it would not surprise if this starts to roll out in the future.

Butterfly1
    Keymaster

Actually I watched something on TV about a year ago which researched just that and the presenter went to lengths to prove that it could be overridden. The bank refused to accept that so he got his twin to mimic him and bingo security breached! I know its difficult to turn back time but I do think we are beginning to rely on AI to our peril.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.